VITA Tax Resources


If you are not able to file your taxes by the July 15th deadline, please download the Form 4868 and submit it to the IRS in order to receive an extension. For more information, visit

Download Form 4868


This is the official announcement from the IRS extending the tax filing deadline and allowing individuals who may have a tax liability to pay their taxes owed by July 15th.  If they fail to pay what they owe by July 15th, interest and penalties will be applied.

The Urban League of Greater Chattanooga is resuming the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program that provides free tax assistance for residents who meet income residency requirements. Now through June 16, taxpayers are able to drop off documents at one of two sites to be completed by volunteers and returned to them. Taxpayers must call one of two locations to schedule a drop-off. Please leave your name and phone number and ensure your voicemail is not full. We must be able to leave a message for you. Please speak slowly and clearly. Once you have your drop-off time confirmed, please heed the following instructions and ensure you have all of the following items listed below. When you arrive, we will check your information and ask any necessary questions. We will complete the filing and call you to schedule a pick-up appointment. We plan to complete your filing within two days. Taxpayers dropping off documents on Thursday will receive a call the following week.


(423) 805-2926

Urban League of Greater Chattanooga*

730 East M.L. King BLVD

Chattanooga, TN 37403

Marion County & Surrounding Areas

(423) 580-0042 (South Pittsburg)

Old National Guard Armory

107 E. 10th Street

South Pittsburg, TN 37380

*You must park in the back parking lot and stay in your car. No exceptions.

How does it work?
You will arrive at the drop-off location with the items listed below. We will check your information and ask any necessary questions. This will take 20-25 minutes. We will then complete the F13614-C – Intake Sheet required by the IRS and conduct an interview over the phone. We will finalize your documents and call you to pick them up.

Who can qualify?
Individuals and households whose incomes were less than $54,000 last year may qualify for free tax preparation. Others that may qualify for the free tax preparation are persons with disabilities, United Way members, seniors, retirees and limited English speaking taxpayers.

Who should come to the drop-off site?
Only the primary taxpayer and if necessary, your spouse, should be present. No friends or other family members should be with you. The same person dropping off tax documents must pick them up. If you’re filing a joint return, both the taxpayer and the spouse must be present to sign e-file forms.

What days are the drop-offs?
Drop-offs are Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 9 a.m. to 1p.m. You must have an appointment. Those without an appointment will be asked to schedule an appointment and return at the appropriate time.

What should I bring?
You must bring the following items:

  • Your cell phone

  • A pen for your personal use

  • Your driver’s license and if applicable, your spouse’s driver’s license

  • Your social security card and the social security cards of anyone listed on return

  • Your tax documents including W2s, 1099-Rs, social security statements, etc.

  • Banking information including a voided copy of a check or deposit slip showing a routing number if you want a direct deposit

To learn more about the VITA program, please contact Val Palmer at

Helping in the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance programs can be rewarding while serving  a vital role in your local community. You do not need tax preparing experience but you must be technologically competent. Volunteers are needed from January 2021 - May 2021.   Learn more by contacting

Federal benefit recipients can still get $500 Economic Impact Payment for their children

If you receive Social Security, Supplemental Security Income, Railroad Retirement or veteran's benefits, but didn't receive a $500 per child payment with your Economic Impact Payment, it's not too late to get this money.

You have until November 21 at 3 p.m. eastern to register. Use the Non-Filers: Enter Payment Information Here tool to register for a catch-up payment for a qualifying child. You can use the tool if you have NOT:

  • used the tool after May 5 to provide information about your qualifying child, or

  • filed a 2019 or 2018 tax return


If you miss this deadline, you can claim the payment as a credit on a 2020 federal tax return.

Visit for more information.


Experiencing homelessness? You may qualify for an Economic Impact Payment

People experiencing homelessness may be eligible for a $1,200 Economic Impact Payment and $500 for each qualifying child under age 17. To get this payment this year, they must register with the IRS, using the free, secure Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here tool, by 3 p.m. eastern, Saturday, November 21, 2020.

If someone's income is below $12,200, or $24,400 if they're married, they probably don't file a tax return, so the IRS may not have enough information to issue their payment. They may be eligible for a payment if they:

  • Are a U.S. citizen, permanent resident or qualifying resident alien

  • Have a work-eligible Social Security number

  • Cannot be claimed as a dependent of another taxpayer


To use the tool, a person needs:

  • Name, as it appears on Social Security card, for self and spouse, if they are eligible

  • A work-eligible SSN for self and spouse, if they are eligible

  • A name, relationship and SSN or Adoption Tax Identification Number for each qualifying child

  • An email address to create an account to use the Non-Filers tool

  • A mailing address where they can receive the payment and a confirmation letter, which the IRS will mail within 15 days after issuing their payment

  • Banking information, including routing and account numbers, if they want their payment via direct deposit. The IRS will mail a payment if a person doesn’t give direct deposit information.

  • An Identity Protection Personal Identification Number, if the IRS sent one in the past. If a person lost it, they can use the Get an IP PIN tool at to retrieve their number

If someone misses the November 21 deadline, they can claim the payment as a credit on a 2020 federal income tax return next year. The payment is not taxable income and getting one does not affect eligibility for other benefits, such as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, unemployment benefits or other benefit programs.

Two week after they put in for a payment, people can use the Get My Payment tool at to check their payment status.


Urban League of Greater Chattanooga

730 E M.L. King Blvd.

Chattanooga, Tennessee 37404

T: (423) 756-1762

F: (423) 756-7355


  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
  • LinkedIn