top of page


VITA Tax Resources


Volunteer Income Tax Assistance

​Attention Tax Payers!

If you have not filed your current taxes yet, you can still get help. Call Urban League at (423)756-1762 and schedule an appointment.  Our IRS Certified volunteers can prepare your current taxes or they can prepare your prior year taxes too.


Urban League is open until the end of July. We we will close for the month of August for the volunteers to take a break.  Urban League will reopen their tax program on Sept 7th and will remain open until Dec. 10.  


For Marion County VITA program, please call South Pittsburg VITA site (423)580-0042.   South Pittsburg is open  M-W-F   9AM -3PM. They answer the phones 7 days a week and will take appointments any day if need be.



Expanded tax benefits help individuals and businesses give to charity in 2021 | Internal Revenue Service (

Complete your paperwork before going to your appointment at the VITA sites!



Form 13614-C (Rev. 10-2020) (



Form 13614-C (SP) (Rev. 10-2020) (

2022 VITA listing 01-06-2022_Page_1.jpg
2022 VITA listing 01-06-2022_Page_2.jpg

Taxpayers can call the United Way at 211 to be referred to the nearest VITA location.  Or you can call 423-265-8000, if you cannot get through at 211.  Additionally, you can text your zip code to 211-898 to start a texting chat. 

P 5444_final2020_8 unemployment benefit1

Attention Taxpayers!  Adjust withholdings, make estimated or additional tax payments:

If you are not able to file your taxes by April 15, 2021, please download the Form 4868 and submit it to the IRS to receive an extension.  File Form 4868 by April 15, 2021. For more information, visit

Hackers are out there, and taxpayers need to be aware!!!

Issue Number:    IR-2021-33

Inside This Issue

Double-check for missing or incorrect Forms W-2, 1099 before filing taxes


WASHINGTON — With some areas seeing mail delays, the Internal Revenue Service reminds taxpayers to double-check to make sure they have all of their tax documents, including Forms W-2 and 1099, before filing a tax return.

The IRS reminds taxpayers that many of these forms may be available online. When other options aren’t available, taxpayers who haven’t received a W-2 or Form 1099 should contact the employer, payer or issuing agency directly to request the missing documents before filing their 2020 federal tax return. This also applies for those who received an incorrect W-2 or Form 1099.

Those who don’t get a response, are unable to reach the employer/payer/issuing agency or cannot otherwise get copies or corrected copies of their Forms W-2 or 1099 must still file their tax return on time by the April 15 deadline (or October 15 if requesting an automatic extension). They may need to use Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, or Form 1099-R, Distributions From Pensions, Annuities, Retirement or Profit-Sharing Plans, IRAs, Insurance Contracts, etc. to avoid filing an incomplete or amended return.

If the taxpayer doesn’t receive the missing or corrected form in time to file their tax return by the April deadline, they may estimate the wages or payments made to them, as well as any taxes withheld. Use Form 4852 to report this information on their federal tax return.

If the taxpayer receives the missing or corrected Form W-2 or Form 1099-R after filing their return and the information differs from their previous estimate, they must file Form 1040-X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return. For additional information on filing an amended return, see Topic No. 308 and Should I File an Amended Return?

Taxpayers should allow enough time for tax records to arrive in the mail before filing their 2020 tax return. In a normal year, most taxpayers should have received income documents near the end of January, including:

  • Forms W-2, Wage and Tax Statement

  • Form 1099-MISC, Miscellaneous Income

  • Form 1099-INT, Interest Income

  • Form 1099-NEC, Nonemployee Compensation

  • Form 1099-G, Certain Government Payments; like unemployment compensation or state tax refund

Incorrect Form 1099-G for unemployment benefits
Millions of Americans received unemployment compensation in 2020, many of them for the first time. This compensation is taxable and must be included as gross income on their tax return.

Taxpayers who receive an incorrect Form 1099-G for unemployment benefits they did not receive should contact the issuing state agency to request a revised Form 1099-G showing they did not receive these benefits. Taxpayers who are unable to obtain a timely, corrected form from states should still file an accurate tax return, reporting only the income they received.


IRS tax help is available 24 hours a day on, the official IRS website, where people can find answers to tax questions and resolve tax issues online. The Let Us Help You page helps answer most tax questions, and the IRS Services Guide links to other important IRS services.

Helping in the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance programs can be rewarding while serving  a vital role in your local community. You do not need tax preparing experience but you must be technologically competent. Volunteers are needed from January 2021 - May 2021.   Learn more by contacting

2019 VITA Program Flyer-1.png

3rd Economic Impact Payment 

The IRS is currently issuing a 3rd EIP to every eligible American. EIPs, also known as stimulus payments, are different from most other tax benefits; people can get the payments even if they have little or no income and even if they do not usually file a tax return. This is true as long as they have a Social Security number and are not being supported by someone else who can claim them as a dependent.


Help Needed

Please help us reach individuals who do not normally file a tax return because they do not have enough income requiring them to file. We are especially trying to reach people experiencing homelessness and those who are unbanked. They will need to provide information to the IRS to get this 3rd payment. While these payments continue to be made automatically to most people, the IRS cannot issue a payment to eligible Americans when information about them is not available in the tax agency’s systems. 

People who did not receive the first two EIP payments can still qualify for those payments when they file their 2020 return by claiming the Recovery Rebate Credit. There is a special section on that can help: Claiming the 2020 Recovery Rebate Credit if you are not required to file a tax return.


More people qualify for the 3rd EIP than earlier payments. Here’s what is different:

  • Payment amounts. Most families will get $1,400 per person, including all eligible dependents claimed on their tax return.

  • Qualifying dependents. Not restricted to children under 17. Eligible individuals will get a payment based on all their qualifying dependents claimed on their return.

  • Taxpayers who file using an ITIN may be eligible to receive a third payment for their qualifying dependent. Up to $1,400 per qualified dependent who has a valid SSN can be received if the taxpayer does not have a valid SSN but meets all the other eligibility and income requirements.


Getting the payment

  • The IRS will use available information to determine eligibility and issue the 3rd payment to eligible people who:

    • Filed a 2020 tax return

    • Filed a 2019 tax return if the 2020 tax return has not been submitted or processed yet

    • Did not file a 2020 or 2019 tax return but registered for the first EIP payment with the Non-Filers tool in 2020

    • Are federal benefit recipients who do not usually file a tax return.


NOTE:   If none of the above applies, the individual will need to file a 2020 federal tax return.


The former IRS non-filer tool is no longer available. Individuals who do not normally file a return will need to file a 2020 tax return to receive this 3rd EIP.


The Earned Income Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit

For people experiencing homelessness who have a job, filing a return often carries a bonus —getting a refund based on various tax benefits, especially the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) for low- and moderate-income workers and working families.

The EITC is for workers who do not earn a high income. Like many other workers, some workers experiencing homelessness earned too little income during 2020 to owe tax but still qualify for the credit. For 2020, the income limit is $56,844. Those who make less than this amount must also meet other eligibility requirements.

Because it is a refundable credit, those who qualify and claim the credit could pay less federal tax, pay no tax, or even get a tax refund. The EITC can put up to $6,660 into a worker’s pocket. The amount varies depending upon the worker’s income, marital status, and other factors.

The IRS recognizes that eligible workers experiencing homelessness often encounter unique challenges not faced by other people.

To find out if they’re eligible, people can use the EITC Assistant on

Taxpayers with children may also be eligible for the Child Tax Credit. Some people will be able to get advance payments of the child tax credit later this year. Those who qualify for advance payments just need to file a 2020 tax return.


Help spread the word

Employers can help by making their employees aware of the 3rd EIP, 2020 Recovery Rebate Credit, EITC and the Child Tax Credit (CTC) and encouraging them to file for these benefits based on tax year 2020 rules. In addition, the American Rescue Plan, enacted in March 2021, expands EITC and the CTC benefits for the 2021 tax year. Some people will be able to get advance payments of the CTC later this year. There is nothing those who qualify need to do at this point other than file a 2020 tax return based on current law.


Challenges and Resources for the Homeless


Some individuals may not have internet capability, a bank account, or a permanent address and may need assistance claiming their EIP payment.

Permanent address not required

People can claim an Economic Impact Payment or other credits even if they don’t have a permanent address. For example, someone experiencing homelessness may list the address of a friend, relative or trusted service provider, such as a shelter, drop-in day center or transitional housing program, on the return filed with the IRS. If they are unable to choose direct deposit, a check for the tax refund and a check or debit card for the 3rd EIP can then be mailed to this address. Also, free post office boxes may be available by applying to the local post office. The postal service also has “General Delivery” mail service for people without a permanent address.

Homeless shelter counts as a home

A worker experiencing homelessness can get EITC. To get the credit, federal law requires that a worker live in the U.S. for more than half of the year and meet other requirements. This means living in a home in any of the 50 states or the District of Columbia. Therefore, individuals experiencing homelessness, including those who reside at one or more homeless shelters, can meet that requirement.

Options for people without a bank account for direct deposit

Many financial institutions will help a person lacking an account to open a low-cost or no-cost bank account. Individuals who open accounts will then have an account and routing number available when they file and claim a direct deposit of the EIP payment.

Please visit the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) website for details, in both English and Spanish, on opening an account online. Among other things, people can also use the FDIC’s BankFind tool to locate a nearby FDIC-insured bank. In addition, BankOnAmerican Bankers AssociationIndependent Community Bankers of AmericaNational Credit Union Administration have all compiled lists of banks and credit unions that can open an account online.

For veterans, see the Veterans Benefits Banking Program (VBBP) for access to financial services at participating banks.


For those with a prepaid debit card, they may be able to have their refund applied to the card. Many reloadable prepaid cards or mobile payment apps have account and routing numbers that can be provided to the IRS. Individuals would need to check with the financial institution to ensure the card can be used and to obtain the routing number and account number, which may be different from the card number.


File for free

The fastest and easiest way to get the 2020 Recovery Rebate Credit and EITC or to get the third EIP payment is to file a return electronically using IRS Free File. People can use a smartphone or computer to visit and click the File Your Taxes for Free link.

Through the Free File system, anyone who qualifies for the EITC also qualifies to use brand-name software to prepare and electronically file their return for free. The IRS urges anyone experiencing homelessness who has access to a smartphone or computer to take advantage of this service.

Refund and payment status

People can check the status of their tax refund using Where’s My Refund? at or call 800-829-1954 for automated refund information. They can check the status of their third Economic Impact Payment using Get My Payment on IRS phone assistors do not have more information than what is available in this online tool.

More information and partner materials

For more information on pandemic relief, see Please follow IRS social media accounts for the latest information that the IRS shares and see the sample social media messages attached. The IRS has additional marketing materials and answers to frequently asked questions at, including the following e-posters:


  • Publication 5515, Third Economic Impact Payments for Americans experiencing homelessness (English | Spanish)

  • Publication 5515-A, Stimulus payments for the Homeless (English | Spanish)

bottom of page